- [23.18] johnlinnell: hey biotchez
- [23.19] selfcallednowhere: wow, how characteristic
- [23.19] johnlinnell: don't tell me how to live
JF: In one hotel washing machine cycle I have managed to make all my clothes look like they belong to a farm hand from 1910.
- Me: They Don't play this at live shows anymore.
- Mum: Why?
- Me: Because Whitney Houston died and it was done out of respect. Not that the song was insulting.
- Mum: Oh.
- Mum: Whose Marty Beller?
- Me: Their Drummer. You met him at the Hilton.
- Me: You took my picture with the three of them. He had the hoodie...
- Mum: Why is he supposed to be Whitney Houston?
- Me: Because before she died Whitney was tired of the biz and so she became Marty.
- Mum: ...
- Me: It's because It's a John Linnell song. John Linnell writes some crazy, weird stuff, okay?
JF: I would chose a dead musician because I do not want to be upstaged.
- typewrittengirl: what if john like
- typewrittengirl: does tons of stuff on the comp too just NOT WITH US
- typewrittengirl: what if he's like
- typewrittengirl: posting very passionate messages on like
- typewrittengirl: message boards about old cameras
- apollonum: CAMERA MES--YES
- apollonum: YES HE IS
- typewrittengirl: HE TOTALLY IS
- apollonum: OMG WHAT IF HE'S ON THE CAMERA WIKI
- typewrittengirl: WE HAVE TO FIGURE OUT HIS USERNAME
- typewrittengirl: i bet he uses the same one everywhere
- apollonum: icthyosaurlover59
- typewrittengirl: oh right
- typewrittengirl: i forgot that we already determined it
- apollonum: SIMULTANEOUSLY
- apollonum: AND INDEPENDENTLY
- apollonum: SERIOUSLY WTF IS WRONG WITH US
- John Roderick: Did I ever tell you about the time I was staying at the brand-new Hilton in Austin?
- Merlin Mann: No.
- JR: John Flansburgh shows up in my room, and he's got the guy who made that documentary, The Cruise. Have you seen that?
- MM: No.
- JR: It's about the guy who gives tours of New York City, and he's on a double-decker bus, talking about the architecture and the history of New York, but he's making it all up.
- MM: [laughs]
- JR: It's all just a lie. So, John Flansburgh and this guy show up in my hotel room, and Flansburgh proceeds to open up my minibar. And then, you know, all of the sudden there are 35 people in my room. There's like a guy, like, cutting calluses off his feet. And there's somebody with a top hat, and there's a guy with a cockatiel,
- MM: It's like the Marx Brothers, it's like Room Service.
- JR: And I'm like "What the fuck? I was about to call it the night." And anyway, Flansburgh opens up the Minibar, and out it all goes, into the room. And this is one of those Hilton Hotel minibars with full bottles of red wine...
- MM: Oh, dear.
- JR: ...and, you know, who knows what else, like shrimp chips. I don't know what's in there.
- MM: Sewing kits.
- JR: It all goes out into the room, and the party rages until the wee hours. And then, after I finally kick out everybody else, and I make the guy clean up his calluses and take them out, the guy with the bird, and I'm kicking everybody out. Flansburgh is the last to go. And he turns around, and he slaps a 20 down on the desk, and he's like, "Good party, kid. Good job. See you next time."
- MM: Was he kidding?
- JR: No, no.
- MM: He actually though that would cover even a fraction of that? I think he was screwing with you. There is no way.
- JR: It was a beautiful move. The cheapest bottle of wine there was like 85 dollars.
- MM: Maybe he only eats out of other people's minibars.
- R: You know, I've known him a long time, but I think he may travel with that group of people. I think there's 35 people waiting for him to boop them, and he just goes "boop," And then [*explosion noise*], any hotel room can become its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.
John Linnell, I’m not even kidding. (via accordionfire)
CONTEXT PLZ. Was someone claiming this was his name that he should sign something to? WTF even.
Linnell: “Well, like I’m really into fashion and John, well…”
Linnell: *glares* “Hm. Thanks for laughing at THAT.”
Oh my godddddddddddddddd
During the Q&A at the TMBG SXSWi panel, someone said “I am a huge fan! So was having your music on Alvin and the Chipmunks like a watershed moment?
Linnell: “What?? When the hell did that happen?”
Flans: “Is this a recent occurrence?”
Fan: “No, like back in the 90s…”
Flans: “Are you talking about Tiny Toons?”
Fan: “Oh yeah, sorry!”
Linnell: “Okay. That’s a relief. Wow, so, you nearly gave me a heart attack.”