So one of the things I was doing when I was finishing up my site update just now was cleaning up the links page and I had completely forgotten about this Something Awful article making fun of TMBG. A lot of it is just generic “OH HEY THOSE GUYS ARE SURE NERDS HAHA” stuff but there is some really quality stuff in there. I think my favourite bit is “The album’s peak of dorkiness is ‘They’ll Need a Crane,’ which is such a clumsy and hackneyed take on relationships that one can only imagine that it’s nothing more than Linnell’s baseless speculations on what being with a girl would be like.” Also, “John Linnell: The Creepy One” is how I am going to start captioning alllllllllll my pictures. Seriously.
A story, not a question: My sister and I took our little brother to a family show in 2010. It was a great time, as expected. During one song, Linnell was spinning around and dancing quite adorably. Without thinking, I yelled out "DILF!!!" I was very embarrassed, but luckily most children aren't the best at deciphering acronyms. Their parents, on the other hand...
THIS IS AMUSING ME FAR TOO MUCH
We are They Might Be Giants, which is *like* a rock band.
John Flansburgh, The Frank O’Toole Show, 1987
JOHN LINNELL of They Might Be Giants - I wanted to be Bingo of the Banana Splits.
JOHN FLANSBURGH of They Might Be Giants - Eugene McCarthy.
In response to “What did you want to be when you were seven?”
- apollonum: honestly if you dont wanna fuck flans regardless of your orientation something is wrong with you
New interview with John up. Two notable quotes:
1. “John Flansburgh does all the hard work. I’m the lazy member of the band.” TRUEST THING HE HAS EVER EVER SAID, BASICALLY. At least he admits it.
2. “But you know, there’s some reason he likes working with me, and it’s not my good looks, though that plays a role.” Oh my goddddddddddddddddd. I can’t even. (Also, anyone who expects us not to ship The Johns is ridiculous WHEN THEY’RE GOING AROUND SAYING THINGS LIKE THAT.)
- antgeth: all of them are going to be the johns?
- typewrittengirl: well there are some that have to be women so we came up with some tmbg-related women
- typewrittengirl: and there might be a few that are like backing band or w/e
- typewrittengirl: but yeh mostly the johns
- antgeth: i seeeee
- antgeth: too bad there isn't
- antgeth: THE ROCKER
- antgeth: and
- antgeth: THE BAND-ORGAN-OBSESSED-WEIRDO