A personal fav of mine, John Henry
capncrunchdapimp asked me about this one too!
- Favourite three songs: “A Self Called Nowhere” (SHOCKING I KNOW), “No One Knows My Plan,” “Destination Moon”
- Favourite lyrics: Thank you for the card with the cartoon nurse, but you see there’s nothing wrong with me./You think, “That’s what you think, that’s what they all say,” before I blow you away.
- What the album means to me: Ok, confession time: I hated John Henry when I first got it. I listened to it once and it was just so different from all of their other stuff, and I so could not get into it, so I put it in my “albums I never listen to” box and didn’t dig it out again until I fell in love with John and decided TMBG was my favourite band, and I was like “ACTUALLY THIS IS COMPLETELY MOTHERFUCKING AMAZING.” For a long time it was my favourite album—I did not switch allegiances to Pink until a few years ago. It is still a very close second, and of course gets major points for having my very favourite song which I use as my username most places.
18) A TMBG song you didn’t like at first but now can’t imagine life without (it had to grow on you)
I don’t think there are any songs I actively didn’t like and love now, but every once in awhile there are ones that I’m fairly indifferent to and end up getting really into. I suppose it most recently happened with “Snail Shell”—I used to think it was so dumb that it was the single because it wasn’t terribly exciting, and then one day a couple years ago it just suddenly clicked with me and now it’s one of my repeat songs. Usually my opinions on songs don’t change that dramatically, though.
6) One of your favorite songs sung by someone who is neither John or John
Nothing immediately springs to mind for this—not into the kids’ stuff (though Danny’s songs are cute and all), and that’s a lot of the non-Johns stuff. Most of the songs I really really love that I can think of by other people are actually Mono Puff. “Untitled” is on the “Sung by other people” page on the wiki and I’m tempted to answer that cos it’s THE BEST but it’s not technically sung. Well, “O Do Not Forsake Me” amuses me quite a bit, so I’ll go with that one I suppose. When I was in high school my good friend April and I would sing it (and also “Doctor Worm”) in the band hall sometimes.
i don’t really like “unrelated thing” on john henry, but this performance is one of my favourite things ever
also CLICK ON FLANS’ DAMN FACE
Damn good times, darn fine coffee.
WANT. I just have the Gigantic blend. They should do this again.