WELL still up after all so here’s one more thing. Pluses and minuses for the big day today:
- +Getting up early so I got to give him THE WHOLE DAY, like, NONSTOP HIM FOR THE LAST 14 HOURS
- -Being awfully tired because of it and having to get up early tomorrow
- +FLANS SAID HE WOULD TELL JOHN HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR ME SO THAT’S A LITTLE EXCITING (well ok ok I said like on behalf of fandom and not just as me but Y’KNOW)
- +Pie and cappuccino! And the pie was peanut butter and jelly which is my favourite pie they have there (I know it sounds weird but is so good! and they only have it sometimes). And it occurred to me later that it’s good that I had that one because, as Ira Glass told me, John “enjoys peanut butter much more than the average person.”
- +Had only seen the Gigantic commentary track once like 9 years ago so forgot basically EVERYTHING from it and John says some pretty damn fantastic things, like that he was very confused the first time someone addressed him as “pimp” (CAN WE JUST MAKE A RULE THAT WE WILL ALWAYS ADDRESS JOHN LINNELL THIS WAY PLZ COS COME ON) and that the parts with famous people reciting his lyrics are “confusing and troubling.” My favourite part, though, is still when he feels the need to point out to Flans that he already mentioned something on the commentary for Direct from Brooklyn. ALWAYS with the fact-checking and correcting people. And right after that he says there is a big contrast of current Flans and “sweaty and skinny” Joy Farm Flans in the previous scene. GOD HOW IS HE NOT, LIKE, JUST CONSTANTLY PUNCHED IN THE FACE? I LOVE HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM.
- +And there are so many parts where he’s SO INSANELY HOT IN THAT MOVIE LIKE FUCK FUCK FUCK. No matter how many times I watch it there are parts that KILL me.
- +The set of new (to me) live pix I looked at on Flickr had one where he’s wearing his glasses! GLASSES GLASSES GLASSES.
- -Thought very hard about HOW DESPERATELY I NEED TO GO TO A SHOW
- -Got depressed for a little while because Apollo knew a thing about him that I didn’t know and GODDAMMIT I DON’T WANT THERE TO BE THINGS ABOUT HIM I DON’T KNOW. She remembered that he said he loves flat Coke (gross) in an Info Club newsletter in 1990. Ok ok I realize it’s unreasonable to expect myself to remember every single thing he has said about himself ever BUT I STILL DO IT.
- +Picked my sexy moments from the “Don’t Let’s Start” vid and I love making lists and rankings and things with him so that was fun
- +Started on my fanzine which is EXCITING
- -But only got a tiny bit done cos I’m so exhausted and I don’t wanna half-ass it
- -Currently somehow having a conversation with Ant re: how disappointing a lot of their recent stuff is and how much better they used to be which would be making me feel guilty anyway but particularly is today but I CAN ONLY CRITICIZE BECAUSE I LOVE THEM SO MUCH. THAT’S WHY IT’S SO IMPORTANT TO ME. THAT’S WHY I WANT THEM TO LIVE UP TO THEIR POTENTIAL. Still making me feel disloyal though.
- -I didn’t get to do as many things as I wanted to do for him today but considering I spent THE ENTIRE FUCKING DAY doing things I should feel like I did a good job anyway, I guess?
Well, there’s still an hour and a half of John’s birthday left on the West Coast and I really hate to put any of it to waste but I am WORN OUT from celebrating hard all day and I sadly have to be up earlyish tomorrow so I’m afraid I’m having to turn in for the night now. I’ll finish the DLS countdown tomorrow. Here’s one last beautiful picture for y’all. HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN DEAR SWEET DARLING JOHN, I HOPE IT WAS A GREAT ONE.
since it’s john linnell’s birthday, here’s are some photos that john linnell (presumably) took with his silly old cameras. first of flans with a canon dial-35 and then, quoth john himself, “some of the throngs of kids who came to see us in Kansas City. Budding guitar distortion enthusiasts are shown here to extend beyond the curvature of the earth”.
John Linnell’s camera blog is my favourite blog to ever exist
Last night Ant and I were discussing birthday hats! He asked me if my wallpaper for the day was a pic of John in one and I was like “I DON’T HAVE ONE.” Thanks for rectifying the situation, Izzy!
It is your birthday
It is today
It is your birthday,
So please excuse me while I lunge out at you
celebrating john linnell’s birthday, the right way (by changing the tmbw logo to his face)
- A pair of red Converse (since he just needs a little nudge to start wearing them again)
- A particularly awesome vintage camera
- A book on the history of accordions
- Some very expensive coffee
- An old dictionary (since I bet his interest in awesome old reference books extends beyond the encyclopedias he has already expressed his deep love of)
HAPPY JOHN’S BIRTHDAY! It is absolutely my favourite day of the year. How I have celebrated so far:
- Pie and cappuccino with the adorable little clay John Shannon made me
- “Don’t Let’s Start” on repeat since I got up an hour and a half ago
- Made a list of the things I would send John in a birthday package
How I am going to celebrate further:
- Gigantic with the commentary track
- More “Don’t Let’s Start” on repeat
- Making a list of the top ten sexy moments from that video for you fine folks
- Finding some new live pictures on Flickr
- Working on my TMBG scrapbook
- Starting on my John zine
- Not doing a single thing all day that doesn’t involve John!
We here at Fuck Yeah John Linnell would like to send our wishes for a truly superlative day to Mr. Linnell on this, his 53rd birthday.
I got to add John’s birthday to Current Events! I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO THIS BUT SOMEONE ALWAYS BEATS ME TO IT. I might have been a liiiiiiiiiiiittle over-the-top but I JUST REALLY WANT HIM TO HAVE A GOOD DAY. I’m going to bed now so I can get up early to celebrate—lots more John’s birthday goodness coming!