- apollonum: i bet jh will and it will say "it" and we can FINALLY TAKE THE FOOTNOTE OFF THE LYRICS PAGE for self called nowhere
- apollonum: soooo dumb
- TypewrittenGirl: but
- TypewrittenGirl: the cd already says "it" and it's still there
- apollonum: but
- apollonum: they'd
- apollonum: check to make sure everything is right
- apollonum: and flans said he remembered it being "it"!!
- apollonum: IT'S IT
- TypewrittenGirl: I AM AWARE THAT IT IS IT
- apollonum: people are sooooo dumb
- TypewrittenGirl: well i'm in favour of john writing about psychoanalytic theory
- TypewrittenGirl: and i can *kind of* see where you could hear it that way but
- TypewrittenGirl: A. IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE
- TypewrittenGirl: B. IT DOESN'T RHYME
- TypewrittenGirl: C. IT'S NOT WHAT THE LYRICS SHEET SAYS
- apollonum: right!
- apollonum: and
- apollonum: there's no basis for the assumption!!
- apollonum: like, they just pulled it out of thin air
- TypewrittenGirl: well like i said i can kind of see hearing it that way IF YOU'RE TRYING TO
- apollonum: and in the demo it's clearly it
- TypewrittenGirl: but yeh um before i was on the wiki i didn't even know it was an argument
POST #2,000! Wow. To celebrate here is the Dial-A-Song version of my favourite song and namesake, “A Self Called Nowhere.” Hope you all are having fun here.
Day 1: List your top 5 favourite songs
1. A Self Called Nowhere - Well, yeh. This song basically single-handedly got me through my sophomore year of college. I have always identified so completely with the chorus, which is probably kind of problematic, isn’t it. It is my original listening to on repeat for hours and hours and hours to try to deal with overwhelming crushing wanting-to-be-dead feelings song, although I have diversified on that quite a lot at this point. It also makes a really handy username.
2. Don’t Let’s Start - More beauty when you’re in pain. I know everyone throws it around like they’re soooooooo deep, but I don’t know how many of them really FEEL No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful. Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful. in their bones. I hope for their sake they don’t.
3. Birdhouse in Your Soul - Simply a perfect, perfect, perfect song, and honestly the song I’ve been the most into for awhile now. I listened to it on repeat for 18 hours one day about a year ago. When I talk about John Linnell and want to signify how brilliant he is “well, he wrote Birdhouse” is all the shorthand I need. OH ALSO THE VIDEO JUST MIGHT BE THE HOTTEST THING EVER.
4. They’ll Need a Crane - NO I’M NOT DEPRESSED NO THERE’S NO REASON I’M SO DRAWN TO HIS SONGS ABOUT BEING MISERABLE.
5. The Statue Got Me High - This is a relative newcomer. When I came back into fandom a year ago after being cold turkey on Them for a long time, I out of nowhere realized how AMAZING this song I’d never fully appreciated before is. IT HAS ACCORDION, and And though I once preferred a human being’s company/They pale before the monolith that towers over me has been my quote on Facebook and in my AIM profile ever since then because…it kind of perfectly summarizes my current life. WHO NEEDS PEOPLE WHEN YOU HAVE JOHN SIDNEY LINNELL.
(Oh god only 5? LET ME KEEP GOING LET ME KEEP GOING. Also, yes, I realize other than the first these are all singles and I feel a little poseury about that, BUT THEY DO A GOOD JOB PICKING THEM, OK.)